Sunday 21 September 2008

The Underground Refuges of Le Dorat

Today (and yesterday, I think) were Patrimoinie days in France. These are days when many places, not normally open to visitors, are open free of charge. This gives locals (and tourists if any are still here) a chance to see some wonderful things.

I nearly missed my chance because I was meeting a builder to get an estimate for some work one the shop but, when I went to La Petite Fontaine for a coffee and sandwich afterwards, Jonathan told me about the Souterains-Refuges tours and I managed to get on the last one for the day!

Apparently the refuges, which date from the 10th Century, run under much of Le Dorat. We visited two which are under houses in the Grande Rue and also watched a slideshow explaining the whole thing.

You can see more pictures on my Flickr page.

This is a truly fantastic initiative, and I look forward to next year's weekend...

...and next time I'm in the shop, I'm going to have a close look at the cellar...