Tuesday 11 November 2008

Baking and Boiling

Today it is Armistice Day and a National Holiday in France. I decided to have a holiday too and do nothing. Surf the Net a bit, catch up on my bloglist, make a catnip mouse or two, do some baking...

It was quite warm this morning and I was even warmer by the time I had chain-sawed some bits of wood up prior to chopping them into kindling. But when I had sat around drinking tea and reading blogs, I began to feel a little chilly, so decided to use some of the kindling to start the wood burner. Soon got it going. I decided that now was a good time to put the ingredients in the breadmaker and start it making a loaf.

Then it was lunchtime, and I decided to have a baked potato with cheese and tuna. I microwaved the potato for a couple of minutes and then put it in the oven. After eating I decided that, since the oven was still hot, I would make scones from my favourite recipe. I don't know where it came from originally, but it has gone through some transformations as I've used it, and I always use eggs to make the scones rise, to avoid that 'tartar on the teeth' feel that scones with raising agent have. (Of course there is some raising agent in SR Flour, so you can't avoid it completely).

I thought I would double the ingredients and freeze some of the scones, but after I had put all the ingredients in the bowl, I realised that the recipe I had written down must have been already been double the original, as the bowl was full to the top! It was very messy mixing the scones, but they turned out OK.
When I took this picture, there was still another tray in the oven!

Of course, then I had to open the kitchen door as the room was too hot to bear!

No comments: