Sunday 8 November 2009

Two For Joy

Not so much joy as a near heart-attack was my lot this morning, when two magpies flew into my kitchen window! They were chasing each other around the garden, and obviously thought they could fly straight through the glass! I was finishing a hat, sitting at the kitchen table and the crash frightened me half to death! It was a good job I could see them though, as otherwise it would have just been another of those unexplained noises that I get a lot of out here.

Another visitor this morning, with a plaintive cry, was this bird...

...I'm pretty sure it's a green woodpecker. Although he looks as if he was pecking at the post, he actually wasn't, but spent most of the time on the ground, pecking at something there, and also sat on the fence post, fluffing up his feathers a lot.

He looks like a little green hen, sitting on a nest!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi...

Found you via Lucy's group over one Flickr. Hope you don't mind if I follow your journey in renovation of your french country side cottage. Just sounds tooo cool. That's the biggest woodpecker I have ever seen. You have to be so frightened when one fly in your kitchen window....icks...

Ticking stripes said...

Wow - woodpecker in the garden - now that's exciting! Thanks for adding your Vernon Ward to the Flickr group! I managed to find another at a car boot yesterday!

Jason Fist said...

Noisy birds and scary birds!