Wednesday 14 April 2010

Misty With a Hint of Mown Grass

Yesterday, finally, I cut the grass. I hesitate to call it a lawn... It took three tries. I started a few days ago, ran out of 'go-juice' in the lawnmower and couldn't find the can with the petrol in. Turns out I was looking for the wrong thing... I used to keep the petrol in a huge, 25-litre container, and that was what I was looking for. Actually, last year I bought a new, 5-litre container, so that it would be more manageable - with a pouring spout and all...

Over the last few days I was pondering where I might have put the container (still thinking of the old one) when into my mind popped the fact that I distinctly remembered filling the mower from a new, red can with a pouring spout... ...then, of course, I remembered and straight away found the new can! Maybe this is the first sign of dementia....

So - I started to mow the rest of the lawn. I had done 4 or 5 stripes when I looked up to see a friend standing by the house, patiently waiting so, of course, I had to stop and we partook of a glass or two of wine. (It was early evening...)

I finally finished the lawn by about 8 o'clock...

Today the weather is misty, but not cold (at last) and it looks as if the sun is going to break through...

...and even if it doesn't, there's that virtuous scent of mown grass in the air...

2 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

Reminds me of cutting our French "lawn" which used to take forever and was full of those tall stringy plants which just lie down when the mower passes by and then stand up again afterwards!!

Elizabethd said...

What a lot of lawn you have, it must take ages to do.