Saturday 24 December 2011

The Sock Saga

Seems that all I do at the moment is knit socks! I'm still not sure if they're the right size for my grandchildren, Max and Molly, but they are on the big side, if anything, so at least they will fit them at some point!

The pattern I was using had some serious flaws so, after a lot of alterations and puzzling over it, I am finally devising my own!  This is the latest effort - for Molly...



Apple Blossom socks for Molly

UPDATED TO SHOW THE FIRST SOCK COMPLETED...

Apple Blossom socks for Molly2

I am using 2.25mm DPNs and a starting number of 56 stitches, with a hand-dyed sock yarn in apple blossom colours.It was from StashUpYarns and the colourway is called Chinese Fringe Flower.  There were 530 yards, so it'll make more than one pair of little socks, and it's an 80% superfine merino and 20% bamboo mixture.  It is lovely and soft and the small needle size means that the stitches are tiny and close, which should give a really warm pair of socks.

I have another yarn from there, called Amphitryon that I have already made Molly some socks with (they went off in the post yesterday) and one called Petit Trianon, that is yet to be knitted up. I love these yarns - such pretty colourways and a lovely feel to them.

StashUpYarns' Etsy shop is on holiday at the moment, but you should visit after Christmas if you love sockyarn!

2 comments:

quilterliz said...

G'day Penny. I had a go at knitting socks many, many years ago. I cannot even remember if they turned out ok, for some reason I think they did. Your socks always look great. You do such a good job of them. Take care. Liz...

Stocki said...

Hi Penny... I hope your Christmas went smoothly and that you will have a very happy new year...I just awarded you the Liebster Blog Award for all your knitted cake efforts earlier in the year! Details at my blog :)x