Saturday 31 March 2012

The First Cuckoo

I heard the first cuckoo today,  so it must be Spring.  The weather has been glorious - certainly March went out 'like a lamb' and I hope April will continue in the same way.  

I've been able to get lots done in the garden.  When I first came back, after the hard winter there had been here, I thought most of my plants were dead.  But no!  They have all suddenly burst into life!  The fruit trees are just about to blossom...

Apple blossom buds


...and the little pink-flowered bush (I always forget the name) is in almost full flower...

Pink blossom bush

Over the last few days I have been working away in the garden, and today I started clearing the border along the hedge.  It all looked like this...

Next bit to clear

...but today I cleared this bit...

Cleared so far...

...and will continue to clear down the length of the border...

Looking down the border

...until I get to this end...

Weedy corner

I had a little try near the weedy end, as I knew I had some Lily of the Valley in there somewhere, and hoped they had not all died in the cold or been choked by weeds last year.  But no - there they were...

Muguet des Bois

...and I also discovered a delphinium and some Japanese Anemones!

Delphinium

Japanese Anemone

Maybe tomorrow I'll start clearing from the other end, so that I get to those plants first!


1 comment:

quilterliz said...

G'day penny. Love the photos. Your garden will look just lovely when you finish it. Isn't it great to finds some plants that you think may have died of in the winter, only to find them still trying their best. We are officially in Autumn here in Australia, but the seasons don't know that. We are expecting some summer warmth over the next week or so. Take care. Liz...