Friday 15 June 2012

Who invented the Lawn?

Wikipedia says:

The term lawn, referring to a managed grass space, dates to no earlier than the 16th century. Tied to suburban expansion and the creation of the household aesthetic, the lawn is an important aspect of the interaction between the natural environment and the constructed urban and suburban space. 

What????

I'm not a fan of Wikipedia, and I know it is not necessarily right, being written by non-experts like you and me, but WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? Tied to a suburban expansion????? an aspect of the interaction between the ...environment and the constructed urban and suburban space...

Is it just me? Can anyone tell me what the 'household aesthetic' is? 

 Can you tell I'm writing this, scarlet-faced after an hour of interacting with my own aspect of interaction between etc, etc, etc?

Lawn, 15 June 2012

If Time Travel is ever invented in my lifetime, I'm going back to the 16th century to find and ELIMINATE the person who coined that term. A man, I guess, as it seems that men like to mow their lawn, and sit and appreciate the wonderful stripes thus produced, I can only say that I am contemplating a wildflower meadow for my back garden next year...

4 comments:

quilterliz said...

G'day Penny. Oh, that is a great post and it made me laugh. I can relate to it, though probably more when we had the farm than here at the new home. It only takes about a half hour if even that to mow the areas we have now.Your mowing and the garden do look lovely though. Take care. Liz...

Joy said...

It does look lovely, Penny. I can relate to your frustration and exhaustion! This is one reason we moved to a one level house with a smaller yard--we are loving not spending hours cutting grass. What took my husband a good 3 hours before at our previous house, with our smaller yard, he is done in 20 minutes.

Jason Fist said...

Shame the column of your blog is not wider, because I think that your lawn looks AMAZING in that photo!

Excellent work. You should be proud!

Carol said...

Hard work but worth it, think of it as your outdoor gym!
Carol xx