Saturday 2 March 2013

Egg-sistential...

Late this afternoon I dragged myself off my bed of pain to go shopping.  In Sainsburys.  I had come to the conclusion that part of the reason I am still not feeling better is that I am not eating. While the cold has abated a good deal, the cough is still very irritating and has now been joined by a new symptom - nausea.  Yesterday I made myself some soup and forced myself to eat some, but felt pretty sick for some time. (And my cooking isn't actually that bad)  Today I had no food left and was forced to either eat the rest of the soup....UGGGH!....or go out and shop.

It was a pretty awful experience.  Even late on a Satuday afternoon (and the store closes at 6 pm) the store was full of people. People - not eggs.




You may think that I am also losing my mind - mixing up people and eggs - but actually, what I mean is that eggs were not in profusion.  For a start, I went 3 times round the store before I found them and then there were hardly any left that were not in packs marked 'mixed sizes'. What is wrong with selling eggs in regular sizes?  If I cook with an egg, I like a large one.  If I boil myself an egg, I like a large one. If I hard-boil an egg, I like a large one.  You get my drift?

Now if I want a smaller egg - say a medium (or even an actual small) then I buy some of those.  But I seldom do. Here is what the British Egg Information Service has to say on this issue...


Remember that old size 3 egg?  No I don't either, but apparently there were 7 sizes...


...which have now been replaced under European Law by the current four size descriptions....

But anyway, I digress....

My point was actually that there were virtually no large eggs to be had, other than some in a PINK box, labelled  BAKING EGGS.




Baking Eggs?  Not mentioned as a classification on the British Egg Industry's site...  

Are they safe to boil?  Can I eat them in an omelette?  Can I scramble them and eat them on toast?

How Ridiculous!

7 comments:

Babajeza said...

There is one thing I must know of the eggs I buy: The date of laying. I only eat fresh eggs, let's say I buy them on day three and eat them within the next three. Older eggs are good enough for baking. There is always the weight printed onto the box in Switzerland and where the eggs come from, the outdoors or the indoors. There is also the name of the owner of the hens printed onto the box. :-)
Or I buy eggs from my neighbour. Then I even know the name of the hen.

tales from a handmade home said...

One of the reasons I don't very often buy eggs from the supermarket is because of the mixed size issues...........luckily one of OH's workmates has a farm in his family and they always grade their free range eggs, so we get them from the farm.

Hope you feel better soon, and you managed to keep your eggs down. x

Elizabethd said...

I think a comforting bowl of sup would be better.
Take care.

Floss said...

Hmm... you are spoiled by logical French egg labelling, perhaps? Our hens laid tiny eggs when it snowed! Who knew? Get well soon - there are some nasty lurgies which drag on at the moment, so don't expect too much of yourself. I favour rice, maybe with a bit of veg and grated cheese myself, when I'm getting better...

Judith said...

Now wonder I have my own chooks in the backyard...haven't looked at the 'how-to' of buying eggs for years. Just know that my Silkie chickens lay little white ones, and all the rest lay big beautiful brown eggs, fresh each and every morning...but I do know that when you pick up a box of eggs at the supermarket, they usually rattle like crazy! Box sizes haven't shrunk over the years, just the egg size inside.

Lilbitbrit said...

It seems over here in the USA we have large and extra large. Cheap white ones at around $1.00 per dozen and brown organic eggs which range from $3.00 to $6.00 per dozen.

Christy

Crafty in the Med said...

How utterly confusing! I have never heard of baking eggs. In my egg vocabulary there are small,medium,large and extra large eggs ...... full stop!
Like yourself I like a large or extra large egg..in other words a substantial size.

However I wouldn't advise eggs if you have a delicate tummy at present. A bit of ham on toast if you don't fancy soup.

Hope you get better soon.

Amanda :-)