So first I decided on the size of the pouches, then I cut up the French sheet (sacrilege, I'm sure). Then I thought it looked pretty boring, so I went in search of some ribbon-y stuff for a trim. I thought of trying machine-embroidery on each pouch but came to my senses rapidly. A girl who is barely competent at machine sewing probably shouldn't attempt anything but the basics!
So I started cutting and sewing. It was pretty awful work and I was not at all happy with it, but I consoled myself that it was just pouches for safety glasses and I wasn't competing in the Great British Sewing Bee...
(Can you see Claudia's eye make up? Change it Claudia, please, please!)
But, again, there was something wrong with my machine! The stitches were all crooked...
...and often loopy too...
In the end I had I had to resort to a rare and painful solution... I had to read the manual!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Something I normally avoid like the plague. (Anyone else as stupid as me?)
By this time I had done several pouches and was not at all happy with the results. The ' RTFM' strategy had only been employed after several practical trials which had resulted in permanent (seeming) lowering of the feed dog teeth (don't ask if you don't already know) which had not helped at all.
So I read that proper threading of the machine is essential (I had the cotton coming off its spool in a clockwise direction instead of counter-clockwise - who would have thought that mattered?) and I also had not placed the spool thread in position correctly. Could I do ANYTHING right? I corrected these errors.
I read that the normal tension for the machine is '4' and mine was set between 2 and 3. Not really my fault, this one, as there is a line on the dial that certainly looks as if it denotes the regular tension - between 2 and 3.
I rest my case.
However, I meekly did as the book commanded. Unlike me - but I have been poorly lately...
Amazingly, the stitches smartened themselves up and became straight.
And so, as if by magic, the shopkeeper appeared (ooh, no, sorry, I was trapped for a moment in the magical world of Mr Ben...) I was able to proceed with my pouch procedures. So far I have made over 60 cases for the safety glasses and am only waiting for the definitive number (I think it's 98) from my daughter to be able to finish the whole thing.
It's taught me so much, this project. How rubbish I am, for a start. I just wade in without a thought, thinking I can do it so easily. I now know I need to think about things and take better care of my equipment if I am going to expect it to perform