Thursday 3 October 2013

Getting The Wind Up

It's a really windy day here today - how is it with you? Seems like a change in the weather is coming, though the wind is warm...

I think I must be part cat - they always rush around when it's windy and I've been dashing around like a mad thing today.  Spring Cleaning er, in the Autumn...

It started with the mice.

Yes, it's like Brambly Hedge here - I was sitting at the table, drinking my coffee this morning accompanied by a volley of little squeaks from inside the wood-panelled wall.  I'm not sure if it is mice (it was, last time) or the gliss-gliss (local name for a little dormouse)...



...that I had here when I first moved in.

Whichever way, the squeaking is very annoying.

So I moved out the fridge and freezer, cleaned everything and stuffed polythene carrier bags firmly into all the holes where the panelling meets the floor.  This started a flurry of cleaning in the kitchen, which I haven't even finished yet.

I had the vacuum out, so thought I would have a go at all the cobwebs in the fireplace and, of course, ended up by cleaning and re-arranging all the shelves and stuff on them.  That's all I'm doing for today (this cleaning business is really tiring, isn't it), but I thought you might like to see the mantelpiece in the kitchen now that the lavender is down from the drying rack and all the new 'ornaments' are in place...

Kitchen Mantelpiece

Think yourselves lucky - I don't show my jugs to everybody...

7 comments:

Babajeza said...

Yes, I'd say it's a gliss-gliss if this means it's a Siebenschläfer. :-)

Elizabethd said...

It's the season when the little dears wait outside your door with their suitcases, ready to move in where it's warm. We were forever chasing them out in Brittany.

Marigold Jam said...

Well done - it all looks great. It's been very wet and windy here today but has dried up now and there is a watery sun peeking through.

Sharon said...

We get the little blighters coming indoors sometimes too...and I used to lie awake at night hearing them inside the walls, it drove me nuts!!
All that squeaking, made me wonder if they were partying all night!
Your jugs look lovely....but I'm happy to hear that you're not forever flashing them about ;)
Hugs Sharon in Spain xx

Joy said...

When husband and I lived in a farm house in the country, we plugged up holes with steel wool--do you have any? The mice won't chew through it.

Clicky Needles said...

We are honoured to see your jugs. Rodents annoy me too.

quilterliz said...

G'day Penny. Oh, that little dormouse is so cute. We just have mice and rats here in Oz and not many people would consider them cute, they have plague proportions in some rural areas. Love the fireplace and your jug collection is lovely. Take care. Liz...