Saturday 23 November 2013

There's a Hole in My Pattern...

Yesterday I thought I might make a cushion for a Christmas present.  I have a pattern I really like and have made a few times...

Cabled Fonty cushions close

...but when I found the pattern, it had a big hole in!  Over the stitch instructions for one of the cushions!

Fonty alpaca cable cushion pattern rotated

pattern hole

My son, who is fluent in French, rang the firm for me and was told they had reorganised the business in 2006 and had no pattern archives from before that - so no chance of getting a new pattern from them  :-(

So, I think this is what the piece with the hole said...

COTES 3/3 (3 by 3 RIB)
Ist Row: *K3, P3*
Repeat from * to * to end of row

2nd Row: Knit stitches as set.

Repeat these 2 rows always

COTES 2/2 (2 by 2 RIB)
Ist Row: *K2, P2*
Repeat from * to * to end of row

2nd Row: Knit stitches as set.

Repeat these 2 rows always

I know that the 'always' sounds a bit weird, but I can't think what a less stilted English translation would be - maybe 'throughout'?

If you disagree, let me know, and also - if you happen to have a good copy of this pattern (which is obviously out of copyright now) perhaps you could let me know if I am correct?

Thank you in advance, for getting me out of a hole!

2 comments:

Knitnstitch Sue said...

Yes, Penny, your translation is correct :)
Lucky it was just the rib instructions that were affected.

Elizabethd said...

I don't knit, but wish you luck with the pattern!
This word 'toujours' used to bother me too. I heard a lady say to a young girl..Oh tu est toujours ici?
and took it to mean, You are still here.
I think you are right to use 'always' too.