Tuesday 11 March 2008

11th March 2008

The Bolero is Finished!!!

Yes, it's true - I've finally done it. I actually finished the knitting bit some days ago, but decided to do the embroidery. Then I found one front had the flowers twice as far apart as the other front, so I had to unpick that bit and re-do it! Anyway it is finished and looks very pretty. I just hope it fits. If not, I will suggest to Tor that she frames it for posterity.




Painting the Bedrooms

I started painting today - my friend was coming to help. She came, but had only time for coffee as she had to go and present a letter at the local Mairie - she just missed being elected to her local council by a whisker (3 votes) and has to represent herself with 3 other candidates for another election next Sunday. I'm sure she will get in. The elected council members then elect the Mayor. So - anyway, no help today with the painting and I'm really fed up with it. I started at 8.45 and worked for about 6 hours with a break for lunch. The paint I was using is dreadful - thin, like milk, and will need about 10 coats to cover at all! I'm going out tomorrow to buy a different brand - the builder recommends Ripolin or Valentin (Dulux) as both cover well. It's bad enough having to do a job you detest, without having to do 10 times! And that is only to cover the plasterboard - the final coat will be Old Paper, a colour from The Little Greene Paint Company. That is supposed to cover really well - I certainly hope so!



It actually looks a lot worse than the photo!

Rain, Rain and More Rain

Sometimes I think the Limousin could solve the world's drought problem. When it rains here, it really rains! It's been raining all day today, and it rained yesterday, and the day before. I know it's my fault - I bought a lawnmower - but I just wonder how many day's rain a lawnmower is worth? What if I washed the car? Or what if I did both?!!!!! Heaven forfend!

Building |Works Update

Today Jean-Luc has been working on the salon ceiling (where I used to sleep) and the kitchen. In the kitchen he has boxed in the pipes that were such a mess. I'm not sure of the result, but I guess I'll get used to it. At the moment it reminds me a bit of the kind of structure you sometimes see in a bedroom, where the bed has cupboards either side and over the top - what they call a bridge in France.



Still, the settee won't be there for ever, and I'm visualising a sideboard in its place, with pictures or interesting objects on the box bit.

Tomorrow he will finish this off and start on the kitchen worksurface and sink. In a few days I'll have hot water there!

1 comment:

Jason Fist said...

The boxed-in pipes don't look as bad as I thought. I think you'll get used to them.

As for the paint, get the thickest possible!