Tuesday 12 May 2009

Everything in the Garden is Lovely (Almost)

I bought some more plants today - from France Rurale in Le Dorat. They were very reasonably priced and in good condition. Sue also bought some, and after coffee at the Maison Bleue, we went back to her house for a cup of tea and so I could pick up some things for Tor and Molly's visit next week. We were talking about the garden, naturally, and Sue told me she had problems with slugs, especially on her strawberries. I said they weren't really a problem in my garden, due (I thought) to my resident toads. So I was pretty shocked when I got home, unloaded and went out to look at the garden...

Horror of horrors - this is what I saw...

...I don't use chemicals, so slug pellets are out, and I don't drink beer. Any suggestions? I'm also vegetarian so I can't casserole them...

Maybe the storm (thunder, lightning and rain all night) has brought them all out, but still most of the flowers are doing well.

1 comment:

Debra in France said...

I sprinkle salt on them, or chop them in half with secateurs. Like you I don't use chemicals and being veggie wouldn't casserole them, although maybe your French neighbours would like them.

They are really hideous aren't they? Even my chicken won't wont eat them!