Saturday 29 August 2009

Scorched Earth

There is definitely a scorched earth policy in my garden. After nearly three weeks away almost everything is dead - except the weeds, of course! Along the front of the house they have grown hugely - especially the little thistley ones - and it is not a good idea to go along this part without your legs protected!
I'm very against using chemicals in my garden, so a friend suggested I use a little blowtorch to burn them off. It was a good idea, but I felt I might be weeks on my hands and knees dealing with the current crop of weeds.

Enter (ta-ra) the Garden Torch!

This little beauty is connected to a fair size gas bottle, and reaches the ground without you stooping, so I went out and bought one.

After I'd assembled it from the usual no-text instructions (and with the obligatory one piece left over) I set to work. (Incidentally I'm pretty sure the left-over piece is an alternative nozzle).

It is slow work, but it seems efficient. Here's a before picture...

(click on the picture to enlarge it)

...and here it is afterwards:

(click on the picture to enlarge it)

Hopefully the ash will disappear, although I may have to get some new gravel down eventually.

I've been working with extreme caution as there has been no rain here for weeks and everything is parched. Today is a little windy, and I don't want to be responsible for setting the Limousin alight.

No comments: