Monday 14 September 2009

10 Out of 10 for Giles

Good old Giles! He doesn't read this, so I can leave in the 'old' bit. He's been extra busy today, as I am taking it easy - well, that is to say I'm not doing the painting, as I have got roller-itis. Actually, I think it is a touch of arthritis, and my right thumb joint is painful, which must be from gripping the roller, and my whole arm aches (that's probably because I need some muscles) and I keep getting pins and needles in my fingers when I do anything. I'm afraid that age is catching up with me...

Anyway, the house is looking splendid so far:

As I write this he is just finishing the back of the dependances, and now there is just the main house to do.

This morning he did more concreting at the back - where the 'foundations' (there are none) were exposed when the ground was lowered to provide a flat terrace instead of a concrete slope - while I did some shopping and picked up the lawnmower.

Remember that lawnmower? Well, 8 weeks later it is finally done, and I'm 103 euros poorer! Just for replacing a belt! I'm never having anything mended at Weldom in Confolens any more!

So - tonight we're having dinner with some friends who have a holiday home in the hamlet, which will be lovely. Mind you, we've eaten well over the weekend, as Jason and Alain were here and Alain did most of the cooking.


The vegetables came from Nadine Dexet, who has a smallholding literally at the top of the road, and raises all her produce in a 'better than organic' way. Apparently even bio (organic) produce is allowed chemicals of certain sorts, but she uses only BRF (Bois Rameal Fractionee), companion planting and old-fashioned hard work. It was lovely looking round when we bought the veg - basil planted among the tomatoes and marigolds at the end of other rows. Apparently the basil not only discourages the aphids but also gives the tomatoes a better flavour. Everything we bought from her was absolutely delicious! She even sells eggs from her hens and products made from her vegetables, such as soup and pasta sauce. Check out her website - Legume Nature. At present she is doing local markets but also plans to do a box scheme next year as well.

1 comment:

I LOVE FRANCE said...

IO3 EUROS
Im shocked thats a wild price
House is looking good
I hope your arm gets easier COULD BE REPETITIVE STRAIN INJURY OR MAYBE TENNIS ELBOW YOU HAVE
bEST TO REST IT AND LET THE MEN DO THE WORK HEE HEE
PS EXCUSE CAPS AND NON CAPS TOO LAZY TO GO BACK AND CHANGE IT
ANDREA