Friday 17 June 2011

Back to the Coal Face...

...or the painting...

It was nice making hearts, but painting is what really needs doing.

Today I gave the first shutter its final coat...

Shutter 1

...it takes about 4 days to do one shutter.

Shutter Lore
First you have to burn off all the old paint (believe me - this is the quickest way) and then sand it down.

Stripping shutter

Then apply a coat of oil-based undercoat, which takes several hours to dry enough to paint over.

Gloss on shutter - 1 coat

Then a couple of coats of gloss...

Shutter 1

...and then you turn it over and do the other side...!!! Hence, 4 days for one shutter. Seems like longer...

Life after shutters

After the last coat on that shutter, I gave the back door its final coat - just the frame to do now.

back door

When I came downstairs this morning I discovered I had left the door ajar all night...  I forgot to close it as I was waiting until the paint I put on yesterday was hard enough not to be damaged.  Fortunately I live in an isolated area where no-one passes...

Then I gave the middle room window its final coat...

Middle room window in cream gloss

...and partially closed the shutters while the paint dries...

window and shutters

As you can see, those shutters are my next task!

One important thing I have learnt today is that it is very tricky to paint gloss when it is windy.  The gloss I am using is very thin and the wind blows it off the brush (and all over the floor or window ledge) before you get to the wood!

1 comment:

Joy said...

Oh, you have such an interesting life and live in such a charming place!