Saturday 7 January 2012

Corde of Wood

I finally got my wood delivered today - by a very nice young man!

This is what it looked like tipped out of the trailer...

corde of wood in pile

...doesn't look all that much does it?  Although it is about the size of my car...


It took me just over 2 hours to get it all in my woodshed...

A corde of wood

...here it is - GONE!
No corde

It's a very mixed bag... small bits, branches, huge great bits, rooty, gnarly bits (I may sell those as sculpture) and none of it particularly dry.  Still, it's more or less what I was expecting, and at least I don't have to look forward to a winter sitting in six layers of clothing and wrapped in a blanket!

I really like wood (does that sound weird?) I mean it is fascinating stuff.  For example, this was a little piece I found in the corde...

inside of burr

...it is where a little branch came off, I think.  Amazing how big the 'lump' is for such a small diameter of branch...

outside of burr

2 comments:

Elizabethd said...

When we had woodburners I remember spending hours stacking the logs! I cant believe how expensive it is now.

quilterliz said...

G'day Penny. One thing I don't miss about having a wood heater anymore is getting the wood. Though we were very lucky, as we had so much of it on the farm and never had to buy it. Here in Australia (at least the area that I live in) it is sold by the cubic metre and is not cheap any more. At least you will be toasty warm. Take care. Liz...