Monday 28 May 2012

Hot and Sticky

It's been a hot day here, today - and sticky.  Though it's not the weather that is sticky, but me!  I've been stiffening the flowers on my flower garlands with a watered-down solution of PVA (polyvinyl acetate to those of you who wish to know) so that they will hang nicely.

Orange_yellow flower garland

It works very well.  It doesn't change the colour of the yarn, whereas I know that sugar solution tends to make the yarn a bit transparent, and spray starch was absolutely useless on the flowers, though the ironing board was nice and crisp afterwards!

I have made 5 garlands and stiffened 3 so far, but they do take a while to dry properly.  I tested the solution on 4 little flowers that I had left over, and they dried like little pieces of slate!  Do you remember the star garland I made last Christmas? I wasn't terribly happy with the way it hung.  Now I've added a couple of rows to the 'tape' and I'm going to stiffen all the stars tomorrow and see if that improves it.

The 3 garlands I've stiffened are hanging up to dry out completely overnight...

3 garlands drying

13 comments:

Fishcake_random said...

I love your garlands! Feeling myself being inspired x x x

Annie said...

What a great idea....as long as they don't dry stuck together :-)
Hugs,
A x

Free Spirit Designs said...

gorgeous garlands and a great crafting tip!

Wendy said...

love the garlands - PVA is amazing stuff isn't it?

Welcome to Handmade Monday - lovely to have you join in x

Anonymous said...

So pretty - I use PVA to stiffen my tatting too.

Myth Illogical said...

PVA to stiffen is a great idea. I love the garlands- really cheerful!

quilterliz said...

G'day penny. The garland looks fabulous. Well done. Hope you are enjoying the hot days! It's rather cold here now, our winter in Australia officially starts this Friday June 1st. Take care. Liz...

Christmas Pie Crafts said...

PVA is such a great idea for stiffening the flowers - your garlands do look lovely. Hope you have a good week.

Ali said...

Your garlands look really pretty.
Ali x

Carol said...

It is hot here too, woke up with heat rash today.
Flower garlands are lovely.
Carol xx

stylesofcooking said...

I would be lost without my PVA!! Your garlands are really lovely and original. Lovely colours

Anonymous said...

Love the Garlands. Think they are a great idea.

Debra in France said...

They look gorgeous. You could hang them around your patio umbrella in the summer, along with some fairy lights xx