Wednesday 24 October 2012

St Junien

Today dawned misty, but warm.  I needed to get some shopping for Tor's arrival with the children on Saturday, so decided St Junien would be the place to go.

There are so many things I can't get in the supermarkets of the towns nearer to me (Bellac and Confolens)- some of them quite 'ordinary', like printer paper and, anyway, Jane (of Marigold Jam) had told me about a Patchwork Exhibition in St Junien, and I thought it would be nice to visit it, so off I went.

The exhibition was great!  It was in two places - a gallery on the main street and the Salle des Fetes next to the church.  I met lots of lovely people and saw lots of lovely works of art in fabric.  I picked up some leaflets and hope I will have the nerve to go along to one of their meetings sometime in the near future. I doubt I could do work of such a high standard but it would be good to spend a few hours a week chatting to 'crafty' people, both English AND French.  

I had lunch at the Cafe Bleu on the semi-pedestrianised street through the middle of the town. A mozarella and tomato salad with a fantastic balsamic vinegar dressing.  I went there with Sue some time ago, when they had just started up.  Now they have been there a few months and are a bit more established...

Cafe Bleue, St Junien

When I got home, a while later (after visiting a factory selling material in a little village near me (Brillac) and buying some new chair cushions) the sun was shining and I took advantage of this to give the lawn another cut.  It takes all day to dry out at this time of year...

However, I am writing this even though the lawn is not finished, because I accidentally mowed over a wasps' nest and they were not best pleased! I guess I must have looked quite funny, abandoning the lawnmower and running into the kitchen flapping my arms wildly to keep the wasps away! 

P1100014

I've just been out again to put the mower away and they are still buzzing around, even though the sun has gone down now.  So I now have a patchwork lawn. Perhaps that's fitting, as I went to the patchwork exhibition...


3 comments:

Annie said...

Stay well away from those angry wasps Penny.
Hugs.
A x

quilterliz said...

G'day Penny. Oh that did make me laugh. I could just picture you. We have some wasps here in Australia that aren't very nice also. Take care. Liz...

Marigold Jam said...

Sorry to hear about the wasps. Glad you enjoyed the exhibition - I did too! I heard today that the one with the books open and the embroidered writing No. 20 won first prize well deserved as it was my favourite. The V&G group split over some quarrel or another so I couldn't say who is still in the group now and who has gone to the newly set up one! I was glad I was no longer there as then I didn't need to take sides! If you go I hope you will enjoy it. Thanks for the mention in this post too.