Tuesday 23 October 2012

Caller Herrin

This is what drove me to the Limoncello yesterday...

Caller Herrin 1

It's been many years since I did any Fair Isle knitting and my stitches are not very even yet.  I just need more practice.  I actually had the correct size circular needle for this one, so didn't have to do it on 4 needles like the tea cosy.  A circular needle gives a much better effect - I think it was tricky stranding the floats between needles on the tea cosy, which gave a 'bumpier' effect. (That's my excuse anyway!)

I'm sure I knit more tightly than I used to and (close your ears you purists) I never make a tension square.  Can't bear it.  I would rather make the whole thing again!  Well, I guess I would for a 'proper' garment, say, if I ever made Blaithin...


...although I'm unlikely to ever do that in this same yarn.  Much too scratchy.  And not cheap.

Anyway, the colours I chose for Caller Herrin were not sufficiently contrasting, as I didn't understand the need for that contrast until I knitted the pattern.  Also, they looked lovely in the skeins, but rather boring when knitted - the lovely seaweedy shades of green and rich mulberry and damson shades of the contrast simply became school bottle green and maroon when knitted up!


Caller Herrin 2

Added to all that it is fairly small (I know - I should have done that tension square) so will probably only fit a child.  Next time I'll use a larger needle.

The pattern model looks like this...



...and my next one will too, as I have bought the same colours used originally!

6 comments:

moleymakes said...

Your not the only one not to do a tension square. I'm afraid I'm a bit guilty too.

You probably don't knit tightly until it comes to Fair Isle. I think all that stranding probably pulls the work a bit.

A shame about the colours all turning out poorly. I think there's a knack to getting the right colours to go and blend together for Fair Isle.

I'll look forward to your next attempt with the recommended colours :)

Elizabethd said...

I love the look of Faisisle, but have never been courageous enough to try it.

quilterliz said...

G'day Penny. I have a friend who makes Limoncello and I love it, especially over ice cream. Love your latest project. Take care. Liz...

Trudy said...

Such beautiful knitting!! I'm in awe of your skills : -)

MarmaladeRose said...

Loving the Fair Isle Penny. I have a Fair Isle project that I need to start. Never done it before but I'm quite looking forward to the challenge! Yours looks very neat to me and you knitted soooo much.
love Fi x

Debra in France said...

The hat is looking really good, what a shame about the colours. They did look lovely in the box. I started the lid of the tea cosy but it has gone wonky, I think I am one stitch short after casting off the last steek. I'll undo it and try again.