Monday 25 March 2013

Doileys

Yes - doileys.  A bit old-fashioned maybe?  But I didn't set out to make a doiley.  Inspired by Hen House who makes such beautiful flower corsages in felt, I fancied trying to make one in crochet.

I knew I had a pattern somewhere for a corsage of violets in crochet so I set about searching for it. Eventually I found it here on Ravelry...


Of course, I set about making the doiley bit first but found this more difficult than it looked! Firstly, of course, I didn't realise the pattern was not in UK terms (you'd think I'd have learnt by now!) and the doiley was much smaller than it should have been.

Then, when I realised my mistake, I made another, but found the instructions (in my opinion) unnecessarily complicated so, of course, I modified them.  I ended up modifying the entire doiley pattern after having made several versions in various thread weights...

doileys 1

When I felt I had got the hang of it, I went on to the flowers.  I didn't even try to follow the pattern for these (I just wanted flowers - not necessary for them to be violets) so I used one of my own patterns and tried various thread weights.  You can find my patterns on Ravelry if you want to try them yourself.

Flowers for corsages

Currently, I am on the stems.  I have tried knitting an i-cord but that took forever with 2 mm needles and fine thread!  So, I made a chain and worked into it in the same way I made the Little Beaded Bracelet.  So far I have only made one out of the 5 stems needed, but I think it's going to be fine...

flower stem

Tune in tomorrow (as they say) to see the finished article (I hope)!

2 comments:

Judith said...

Looking great! Can't wait to see tomorrows finished flowers...J

quilterliz said...

G'day Penny. You really are one clever lady. Take care. Liz...