Sunday 14 July 2013

Positive Progress in the Potato Patch

I'm thinking of naming my potato plants because I'm so involved in their lives I feel like their Mum.  I know - I'm a sad person with far too much time on her hands...

Yesterday I neatened up the patch they're growing in and watered them and tried to earth them up a bit.  They're still only babies, but there are seven of them now and I'm a bit tempted to name them Dopey, Sneezy, Grumpy and so on, but tomorrow there might be more of them and where could I go from there with names?

14 July 2013

I think you'll need to click on the picture to see them a bit larger, and you'll notice that 5 out of the 7 are growing on one side of the patch.  The side that WASN'T dug over again by moles.  At least, I think that is the reason for the discrepancy.  This morning there was another mole hill there and I had to remonstrate with the mole community as a whole in French (well, at least that's what people say - Pardon my French) - when I saw it!

I can't wait for them to get those pretty flowers on so that I can dig up the plants and eat some luscious new potatoes... another good reason for not giving them names!

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Oh yes!!! I can see them, they're coming on strong! But no, you can't name them if you're going to eat them because if you're anything like me, you'd never be able to bring yourself to put them through such atrocities as 'boiling' or 'steaming'....!!!!
Of course you could dig them up, then let them grow roots again and then plant them all over again....completely pointless task but less cruel! LOL
Hugs Sharon in Spain xx

Elizabethd said...

It is fatal to name anything, I once had chickens who were all named (Belinda, Annabel....). No way could we eat them!

Judith said...

Naming them!!! What about Baked, Mashed, Boiled etc???? Of course, like the others have said, once named they won't ever be eaten. We grow our potatoes in large Hessian bags - adding layers of mulch, manure, soil etc as the leaves start to peek through. But we don't have Mole problems like you seem to ...J