Tuesday 9 July 2013

Resting on my Laurels

Well, not exactly resting - just trying to get some information...

How does one dry bay leaves?

My friend has a big tree/bush and gave me some pieces...

bay leaves on stem

I've put them in water because I don't know quite what to do with them.

Do I dry them? Freeze them? Microwave and crumble them?

I've put some on a wire rack to air dry...

bay leaves drying

...but I'm not sure if that's the best thing to do with them.

If you have any ideas - please let me know.

6 comments:

Elizabethd said...

Just hang them upside down in your kitchen. They'll be fine.

Su said...

I've dried them in the past. Just did what Elizabeth said and hung them upside down in bunches in the kitchen. Once dry store in a jar

Sharon said...

Yes that's what I do with ours, either just dry hanging upside down or in a paper bag.
Hugs Sharon in Spain x (now able to comment on your blog!!)221249245176

Joy said...

Well, I was going to wade in with my thoughts, but I think all previous suggestions are better than mine. I do know when I've purchased whole bay leaf, it was a dried leaf in a jar, so possibly you could store them that way. I think I've heard that hanging bunches of bay leaf keep insects away...

Gillian Roe said...

I dry mine in a cupboard just propped up in a jar - that seems to work well enough although I imagine a bunch tied with string and hung would look very pretty. x

Jodie said...

I'm with Elizabeth - hang them upside down and they should be fine... :)