Thursday 18 January 2018

When One Door Closes, Another Door opens...

Not that there has been any closing (of doors) yet - or any opening (of doors) even.

This is how it all started out...

dresser in

...in 2008 when the kitchen was renovated and decorated.

The only part of the room that was never plasterboarded and insulated was the bit of wall behind this little dresser.

So this was the obvious place (not to mention the ONLY POSSIBLE place) to knock through to create a doorway into the dépendence on the other side which is like a little brick-built building/workshop on the end of the house.  Formerly used as a small cattleshed  many years ago and then as a workshop, it now houses all my DIY tools and my log store.

For 10 years I have walked around the house to reach the entrance to the dépendence to get logs, come rain or shine. And, as I only use the woodburner and the logs in the winter, that ends up being mostly rain and very little shine!

But a week or two ago I decided to finally have a door put in.  This is the space where the dresser was...

wall - first coat

And this is the beginning of the doorway opening-taken from the dépendence side...

And finally I will no longer have to walk round the house in the rain to bring in the wood...

It took two and a half days to make the opening and tidy it all up and I'm still waiting for the concrete poured into the frame to set, so it will be another week, I'm guessing, before it is anything like finished.

At the moment the door that will eventually go there is simply wedged into the opening to stop the draught which was blowing in like a force 3 gale, so it currently looks like this...

What’s behind the green door?

I am assured that the 'dirty' work is over, so I can start the clean-up. Everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) is covered in a heavy layer of dust. It got everywhere.



7 comments:

Elizabethd said...

We did the same thing in our Breton farmhouse. What a clear up there was!

Sally Social said...

I know the feeling. When I had my house wall knocked through to the "lean to" to make the extension, all that was protecting me from the outside elements and local wildlife was lovely a piece of blue tarpaulin for 2 days! It was like camping indoors! I survived :)

Lilbitbrit said...

Sounds like a great idea, especially in the winter.

Joy said...

Hello Penny! It's good to see a post from you. I don't know how I missed the previous posts, I don't think I was getting your feed. Did you sell your house yet? Any ambitious plans for 2018?

Clicky Needles said...

It’s horrible while work is being done, but it will be so worth it. I think the dust is the worst.

Elizabethd said...

I put a comment on earlier but it hasn't appeared.
Such a good idea to have the space accessible from the house. We did the same in Brittany.

Babajeza said...

Good luck. Stay strong!