Friday 6 June 2008

Girl and Garden

When I came to France, I said I would not try to have an English garden... I felt it would be too much too manage in a warmer (huh!) climate and take up a lot of time. I wanted trees and long grass with wild flowers. Sounds great, yes? Well the reality is somewhat different. The weather here is similar to Britain - warmer generally speaking - but not hugely - and with lots (and I mean lots!) of rain. Grass grows at a rate of knots and the wildflowers that grow in it are not quite as pretty as I fondly imagined: dandelions, docks, nettles - rather than poppies and tall daisies blowing gently in the balmy breeze.

So I got some trees and shrubs which Jason put in for me:

and bit by bit I seemed to accumulate other plants. So, in the end I had to dig up some of the grass to make a bed to put the plants in before they died in their pots:















...but still there seemed to be more pots, so the bed had to be widened. And that's what I've been doing this afternoon!















This is the first border... I have the feeling it will not be the last.

It seems you can take the girl out of the garden, but you can't take the garden out of the girl.

No comments: