Friday 13 February 2009

Licence to...

Today I finally managed to gather all the required pieces of information to apply for my French driving licence.

I've been here nearly 2 years now and, although it's still not obligatory to change, my English licence had my old address on it and I don't live there any more. There's a thousand pound fine in England for not having your current address on your licence, and you can't change your address to one that's not in England, so that posed a bit of a problem...

...anyway I decided to bite the bullet and get a French one. I had to have a copy of my passport; my English licence; an electricity bill; 2 completed forms with all my details... and two photos. Special photos, the lady said - not those from the machine in the supermarket - they're too big, but ones taken by the photographer just down the street. So off I went.

He was a nice man, a very nice man, and even gave me the first lot of photos free (cadeau, he said) as there was a teensy-weensy shadow behind my left shoulder and he said they would not be good enough for the licensing people. Now he explained that I had to show my ears, and at least some of my forehead (so sweep back the fringe a bit) and most important - I must not smile. So here are the photos that he rejected (the others were pretty well the same) and I must admit they would frighten children...

2 comments:

Jason Fist said...

Tripe!

The "no smiling, must show forehead" photos are for biometric passports. Did you tell him what the photo was for?

You do look scary. Or bored. Perhaps a ceremonial burning ceremony is in order?

quilterliz said...

G'day Penny. It's lovely to see what you look like. Some of those photos never show us in our best light, but your ones are not that bad. Take care. Liz...