Sunday 31 May 2009

Another Night Out

Last week I went to the Petite Fontaine with Tor and Molly, to a cabaret night with local acts. It was all free and we enjoyed it very much. The evening went on till nearly midnight and we walked back to the car in a balmy warm night that reminded me of holidays spent in Provence...

Last night, however, was of a different order. I went with Sue and Ann (a couple of movers and shakers)...


...and the evening started with a showing of clips from an old Hinge and Bracket performance. Hinge (George) now lives in Le Dorat with his partner Louis, and Bracket (Patrick) has unfortunately passed beyond the veil. I'm not sure the double act has stood the test of time... ...well, the two main performers were OK but the backing singers were very seventies (or was it eighties?)and it was rather reminiscent of the Black and White Minstrels - a programme that my mother used to love.

After some DVD bits George played the piano for us - not pieces from the shows, but medleys of 'light' music. Readers, forgive me, I hate medleys so I was disappointed. George is undoubtedly talented at the piano and is a lovely man, but the evening was not to my taste. There was also a long 'Sing-a-Long' section, all the music coming from the wartime (some possibly from WW1). Now I was not even born until after the war, so I have never sung these songs and have no desire to do so, being of the era of Folk and Rock. Look at this video and you'll see what I mean...




Hopefully the next one will be a little bit more up-to-date!

1 comment:

Jason Fist said...

Christ! Expats from Hell!

No wartime karaoke for me please...