Sunday 9 September 2012

Lathus Brocante

I decided, on a whim as usual, to go to a brocante today.  According to Brocabrac.fr there was one on at Lathus. 


 It gave no idea of the number of stalls, but I knew it would be a pleasant run out, so off I went.

As I got nearer, I expected to see brocante signs, but there was nothing.  Even at the entrance to the town - nothing.  But there were a lot of cars in the edge-of-town car park, so I parked and walked into town.  Cars were parked everywhere!  The brocante was huge!

Brocante 1

Brocante 2

Brocante 3

...and these pictures only show you a small part!

The day was very hot (see that blue sky?) and I didn't actually walk round the whole brocante, it was too tiring.  Also, I found (and, of course bought) a little portable typewriter right at the start and it was fairly weighty to carry around. The word 'portable' when applied to a typewriter does not indicate that it is small and light - simply that it comes in a case with a carrying handle! Some are lighter than others, but you don't really want to carry any one of them around a massive brocante in the boiling sun. Believe me!

Anyway - here she is - my Brother Charger 11...

Charger 11

...with an English keyboard and only 5 euro!

I am for sale

I doubt whether I will be able to invoke the guarantee from the sticker, as it runs out after 30 days, and I think this machine was made in the 1960s or 70s.  Apparently it was made for children aged  8 to 15 which explains the guarantee sticker from PARENTS magazine!

I haven't yet sourced a manual for it, but it seems to be in good working order - even the ribbon is still OK. If anyone has a manual, I'd love a copy...


3 comments:

maschinengeschrieben said...

Hello and Welcome to the Typosphere!
That is a nice find! I don't think the brother is a children's typewriter, it seems to have all the functions of a normal machine. After all, it was maybe sold through the Parent's magazine, but a totally normal machine. "Real" children's typewriters often looked like this, with a fake keyboard, but actually operated through the letter wheel at the top.

French Nanny said...

Hello machinengeschrieben, and thanks for reading! I got the info about it being a children's machine from here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thedamnmushroom/6311314230/

Trudy said...

What a great find! Love old typewriters, love how they type : -)